Basic Income Nova Scotia Society
Established in 2015, Basic Income Nova Scotia Society (BIG-NS) has led the effort to eradicate poverty in Nova Scotia and have been educating and advocating about the concept of an unconditional Guaranteed Income for all Nova Scotians and Canadians.
Basic Income Nova Scotia Society activities include:
- A Zoom panel discussion about Basic Income held on April 18, 2020. This event was sponsored by Transition Wolfville Area and Extinction Rebellion. Panelists including Elizabeth Kay-Raining Bird, Pierre Stevens, Karen Foster, Jen Brady, Wayne MacNaughton (all BIG-NS members) and Pauline Raven.
- Basic Income presentation sponsored by Community Health Boards in Cape Breton. Presented by Elizabeth Kay-Raining Bird, Pierre Stevens & Nathan Taylor (all BIG-NS members). Approximately 60 attendees.
- Three one-day free conferences held (2016, 2017, 2019) and a fourth in the planning stages for October 2020. All conferences had local, national and international expert presenters including Guy Standing, Evelyn Forget, and Catherine Mah.
- Participated in Halifax Regional Municipality / United Way joint Poverty Solutions Task Force. Basic Income was included in both the short- and long-term goals of the final report.
- Petition presented to the Nova Scotia legislature in 2018 with 1,000 signatures, followed by a press conference.