Canadians deserve more than a patchwork of recovery benefits!
The Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) became a lifeline for millions of Canadians when the pandemic turned lives and livelihoods upside down. The federal government has announced plans to transition CERB to a modified Employment Insurance (EI) for one year, and a Caregiving Benefit, Sickness Benefit and Recovery Benefit for those who do not qualify for EI. These changes are pending parliamentary approval after the throne speech on Sept. 23.
Many who work on a contract basis, including artists, writers, technicians, performers, and many others may not be covered. We need bold new solutions that also assist the working poor, as well as those on disability and social assistance. Precarity is greater than ever before!
We need a basic income guarantee, regardless of work status, that will ensure no one falls through the cracks.
The crisis has shown us what is possible – that government has the power and the resources to ensure that no one is left behind as we recover.
The time is NOW for basic income! Here’s what you can do…
There are many other actions you can take:
- Sign here and join the 38,000+ people who signed a petition in support of basic income #MOTION46. Let’s keep the pressure on the government to support basic income now.
- On Wednesday September 16, join us for a Day of Action at a virtual rally for a guaranteed livable basic income in Canada. We will be showing our support for Leah Gazan’s Motion-46 and demanding the Federal Government introduce a basic income guarantee in the next parliament.
- On Wednesday September 16, register for CARFAC’s Intro to Universal Basic Income one-hour webinar at 11 AM Pacfic/ 2 PM Eastern, with some great speakers: artists Adrian Stimson, Craig Berggold, Sydney Lancaster, and Sheila Regehr from Basic Income Canada Network. Have a burning question about UBI? Send your questions to panelists here.
- On Thursday September 17, register to attend a National Town Hall co-hosted by Coalition Canada and The Green Party of Canada on Why Canada needs Guaranteed Livable Basic Income (at 4 PM Pacific/ 7 PM Eastern).
- On Friday, September 18, take a photo showing your support for basic income and post it on social media, using the hashtag #countonbasicincome. Get all your family and supporters to take part too! Tag politicians, allies and news organizations (for example, @CanadianPM and @CdnHeritage on Twitter).
- If you missed The Case for Basic Income & the Arts webinar from July 29th, you can view it here.